1. Develop a series of Geotechnical Concept Tools (GCT) to promote a student-centered, active learning environment in the classroom.
2. Enhance the current curriculum and implement the GCT to target multiple student learning styles in the classroom.
3. Conduct an extensive evaluation plan using an independent assessment expert and additional evaluators with discipline specific and engineering education expertise to determine the educational impact of the course modifications implemented.
4. Increase the comprehension and retention of difficult geotechnical engineering concepts using the GCT developed as part of this effort.
5. Stimulate increased interest in the field of geotechnical engineering and encourage advanced studies for all students including those that come from underrepresented groups.